Sep 20, 2014

What to do with Extra Large Turnips - dehydrating turnips



Turnips are certainly a welcome crop in my garden!
However, there are always a few over-achievers in the bunch!

While I prefer the small to medium size turnips for their more mild flavor in many of my recipes, I certainly do not let the larger (less tender) ones go to waste! 



I dehydrate my extra large turnips to use in my crockpot soups & stews as they add a nice robust flavor!

If we have a plentiful harvest, I'll store a reasonable amount of fresh turnips for our family and dehydrate the rest. 

The dried turnip chips can be eaten as a snack (like potato chips) or crushed to be used in sauces, dips, soups, etc.


Drying turnips.

1. Wash, cut off the tops & root and peel as you would a potato. 
2.  Slice, as thin as you can.

I used this mandolin slicer we found @ Walmart for $10.
Mainstays multi produce slicer

3.  Blanch your slices in boiling water for 3 minutes, then plunge into icy cold water to stop the cooking process.         
4.  Spread out turnip slices & towel dry.
5.  The slices are now ready to be dehydrated using your preferred method.

I use 2 fan-less Ronco dehydrators.
We purchased one 20 years ago & 
another at a yard sale for $3. this past spring.

6.  Store in an airtight container.


As a fun option, try sprinkling your favorite spices on the turnips slices before starting the drying process! I use cayenne pepper.


Do you grow turnips in your garden?
How do you keep them over the winter?


Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'


scroll down to see where I'll be sharing today's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I enjoy hearing from you!
Blessings, Maria